October 21, 2016
Posted by on
See link at the bottom to access today’s meeting on YouTube.
Optimist Club of Beaverton
Club Meeting Minutes: October 20, 2016, 7:00 AM
Barry B. presiding.
This Day in History:
1944, General McArthur returns to the Philippine Islands.
October 20th, tonight, 7:00 to 8:00 PM, Great Shake Out (Emergency Preparedness) Reedville Presbyterian.
October 22nd, Saturday, Women’s Safety Fair, Sheriff’s Office, Hillsboro HQ.
October 22nd, Saturday, Child Safety Seat clinic at St. Vincent’s, 9:00 to 11:00.
October 22nd, Saturday, “Tip a Cop”, 5:00 to 8:00 PM, Beaverton Red Robin. (Wally reminds everyone to turn out for an Optimistic showing of the clubs support for Police and the Special Olympics.)
- Optimist Club positions open: Board Member and Sergeant at Arms.
- An audit committee has been appointed: Marv Thompson, Michael Stack and Scott Thompson.
- This meeting was recorded (Wally J.) for upload to U-Tube as the continuation of an “e” Club option. Subsequent meetings will also be recorded, allowing members not present to see the meeting
- September 2017 is the 50th anniversary of the Beaverton Optimists Club. Submit ideas for this landmark event to Barry!
- Roger H. attended the Optimists Regional Meeting in Kennewick, WA. Good classes on leadership and an emphasis on the Essay contests.
- Steve G. attended the Home Plate Open House. It was well attended and excellently done. They provide meals, shelter and other services, and referrals for the homeless.
- Eric S. provided an update on the Aloha Library activities and fund raising. Contact Eric for details, there is a lot going on.
- 50/50 Pot Raffle – $10.00 in the pot. Winner – Roger H.
Guest Speaker: Jules Schoolmeester, new Beaverton Police Activities League (PAL) Executive Director, provided some background; she recently hails from Sioux Falls, where she worked in the drug and alcohol abuse program. She described some of the PAL activities available to the 50 (or so) young people in the program, including, but not limited to, boxing (boys and girls), a clubhouse, a homework room, and opportunities to work with senior citizens. While there is as yet no scholarship money available for memberships, it is something she intends to work on.
Meeting adjourned at 8:00 am
Steve Gerber, Secretary